Friday, October 2, 2015

Moist #Pumpkin Scones #Recipe with #Linky

Welcome to my weekend blog hop -
Make My Saturday Sweet #146!


My blog is best viewed in Google Chrome.
Click on the images to view them larger.

Moist Pumpkin Scones Recipe


Many friends in the blogging community are eagerly sharing their favorite pumpkin recipes and Thanksgiving themed tablescapes. I try to do something around Thanksgiving in South Africa, but it is a bit more challenging because we are usually experiencing the heat of summer at that time. Even now, while blog hops are showcasing Fall themed memes, those of us below the Equator are having Spring!

The other day I was given a pumpkin, not the jack-o'-lantern kind, but a Queensland Blue (an Australian variety). At first, I was a bit out of my depth with carving and peeling it. This was a task I would normally get my husband to do, but my mother-in-law was visiting and got it started for me. She made some pumpkin fritters with Jessica (my eldest daughter) to go with dinner and she made the task look so easy. Trust me, it's not!

My mother-in-law once gave me a wonderful pumpkin scones recipe and I decided to use the remaining pumpkin for that. The following day, I cut the rest of the pumpkin into wedges, peeled it, removed the seeds and baked it in the oven with butter and cinnamon sugar. And, the good news is that I never cut myself in the process!

In case you are not familiar with the term "scone", it's a quick bread, often slightly sweet and sometimes with added dried fruit. In South Africa, it's often served with whipped cream, jam, and grated cheese. If you live in the States, it's similar to a biscuit. The trick to making a good scone is making sure the butter is cold and the dough is not overworked. 


Ingredients:
*1 cup baked pumpkin mashed
(I'm sure you can use canned pumpkin puree)
2 cups flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
6 Tbs. cold butter grated
1/2 cup raisins
a bit of milk if needed
cinnamon sugar
(for sprinkling on top)

*The baked pumpkin:
Cut the pumpkin into wedges, peel and remove seeds. Dot with butter and a little cinnamon sugar. Bake in the oven at 180 C / 360 F for about 30 minutes, until soft and the edges have begun to caramelize. You only need one cup mashed for this recipe. The rest you can mash and freeze in one cup portions for later use.

Method:
Preheat the oven to 200 C / 390 F. (I baked the pumpkin first. With the oven still hot, I turned up the temperature for the scones.) Sift dry ingredients. Grate the cold butter and blend in with a fork or pastry blender to resemble coarse crumbs. Stir in raisins. Work in the pureed pumpkin with a blunt knife. Don't overwork the dough or the scones will be heavy and stodgy. (I added a bit of milk at this point, because my pumpkin didn't have enough moisture to bring the dough together.) Pat into a round shape onto a baking sheet. Cut into 8 triangles with a floured knife. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown and tester (toothpick) comes out clean.

Baked pumpkin

Cold butter grated and mixed into dry ingredients

1 cup mashed pumpkin

Dough patted into a round shape,
cut with a floured knife into 8 triangles,
sprinkled with cinnamon sugar,
and then baked in the oven



This recipe serves 8.

Related post:
How we celebrated in 2012
Thanksgiving in South Africa

*********************


Blog Buttons


*********************

Make My Saturday Sweet is a weekend blog hop for all family friendly blogs. You are welcome to link your favorite post from the past week(s) and to visit the last link before yours and leave a sweet comment. It's a really easy and fun way to make new friends and to catch up on old acquaintances.

Now on to my blog hop...

Amanda’s Books and More

It's time for another Make My Saturday Sweet blog hop!

Join me (your host) for this fun and easy hop.
All family friendly blogs are welcome!

If you host your own blog hop(s), then feel free to
link them on my Blog Hops page!

I would love for you to follow me on
I'm also now on Instagram!

Here are the easy rules:
  • Follow Tina (your host) on one or more links listed above.
  • Link up a post from your family friendly blog.
  • Please try to add my hop button on your post or side-bar.
  • Share about this hop on Twitter, Google+ or Facebook.
  • Visit the last link before yours and leave a sweet comment.
Blog Button Code:

Amanda’s Books and More

Weekend Linky

This is a blog hop!

Visit my Blog Hops page to see
what link parties I take part in.

© 2011 Amanda's Books and More, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena